Update 5/23/22: The Iowa DNR’s Decorah Fisheries Management Unit will begin their Trout Run Creek FEMA repairs from Highway 9 to the Chuck Gipp Decorah Fish Hatchery. The work is scheduled to begin Tuesday, May 31st and take 2-3 weeks to be completed (weather permitting). The construction work will require the closure of the Trout Run Trail from Highway 9 to the Chuck Gipp Decorah Fish Hatchery, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Each evening, the trail will reopen with reduced access due to two rocked truck crossings.
- Dug Rd, Decorah, IA 52101
The scenic Trout Run Trail loop winds through historic and picturesque Decorah and the surrounding area, passing along dikes, abandoned rail beds, and private farmlands. The trail offers views of forested limestone bluffs, rare algific talus slopes, and the beautiful Oneota Valley and Upper Iowa River.
In addition to biking, walking, running, and cross-country skiing opportunities, the trail provides safe, non-motorized access to trout streams, the Upper Iowa River, art pieces, and local parks, campgrounds, restaurants, ice cream shops, and businesses. Try beginning your trip at, or just stopping by, the Decorah Fish Hatchery, home to Siewers Springs (the second largest natural spring in Iowa) and the famous Decorah eagles! Bring along a picnic to enjoy in the new shelter and a fishing pole to try your hand at the trout in the nearby streams and their handicap-accessible points.
The Trout Run Trail is a popular choice for fundraising runs, walks, and other events. Special event permits are required.
Maps and Resources:
Location: Circles Decorah, multiple trailheads
- Picnic Shelter
- Picnic Area
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Bike Racks
Length: 11 mile loop
Uses: Biking, hiking, running, fishing, nature viewing, cross-country skiing (groomed when possible)
Access Points & Parking Areas
- 5th Avenue Bridge: West edge of Decorah off Pulpit Rock Road
- Will Baker Park: West edge of Decorah off Pulpit Rock Road
- West Dug Road: East end of Oneota Drive, off Highway 52
- East Dug Road: West end of Main Street near downtown Decorah100 2896comp
- Wold Park: Near Sumner Street east of Decorah High School
- Trout Run Park: East edge of Decorah off Highway 9, near Old Stage and Trout Run roads
- Trout Run Road: Off Trout Run Road, midway between Highway 9 and Decorah Fish Hatchery
- Decorah Fish Hatchery: 2325 Siewers Spring Road
- Highway 9 Bridge: Access from Industrial Lane